Home Claims How to Report a Claim

How to Report a Claim

Company Nurse


Use Group Code: IMWCA

Iowa OSHA Office


Report a qualifying incident.

Claim Reporting through Company Nurse Injury Hotline

Promptly reporting a claim is a critical first step to ensuring injured workers receive the care they need. IMWCA partners with Company Nurse to provide telephonic reporting and nurse triage to injured workers. If an employee sustains an injury on the job, the first step is to determine if urgent care is needed. If so, call 911. If urgent care is required, report the claim after the injured worker’s needs are met. All injuries should be reported to Company Nurse at 1-888-770-0928.

report process

Reporting claims as quickly as possible can help lower costs, reduce fees, and ensure that the injured worker receives appropriate and timely medical care. Explaining to your employees the importance of timely injury reporting demonstrates that you take injuries and safety seriously while also building strong relationships.

Timely reporting of an injury makes it possible to begin managing the claim and its costs earlier. It also allows us to guide the injured worker to your designated physician/clinic. Providing an injured worker with appropriate medical care in a timely manner decreases frustrations.

Early reporting gives us the opportunity to make sure evidence is preserved. We are also able to talk with and take statements of key witnesses while the event is still fresh in their memory. When a claim is turned in late, it forces us to be reactive instead of proactive in our claims handling.

The Company Nurse call center is staffed 24/7/365. We understand many of your employees work weekends and holidays, so it is beneficial to call Company Nurse immediately to speak with a registered nurse. The nurse can give care advice and refer on to your designated physician/clinic, if appropriate. Remember, reporting claims as quickly as possible can help lower costs, reduce fees, and ensure that injured workers receive appropriate and timely medical care.

Note: Reporting an injury through Company Nurse to IMWCA does not fulfill your OSHA reporting requirements.

OSHA Reporting Requirements

All Iowa local governments are required to notify OSHA when an employee is killed on the job or suffers a work-related hospitalization, amputation, or loss of an eye.

  • A fatality must be reported within 8 hours.
  • An in-patient hospitalization, amputation, or eye loss must be reported within 24 hours.

To Make a Report

  • You may call 877-242-6742 or visit OSHA’s office to report an incident.
  • Submit an Incident Report Form (link is external) by fax to 515-281-7995 or email (link sends e-mail).

Be prepared to supply: Business name; names of employees affected; location and time of the incident, a brief description of the incident; contact person and phone number.

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I call Company Nurse after every workplace injury?

Yes, every injury should be called into Company Nurse BEFORE THE EMPLOYEE LEAVES THE JOB SITE. This will immediately provide injury information to Safety and Risk Improvement personnel on every injury. This is a 24/7 service, including all holidays.

What about obvious emergency situations for severe injuries?

In all life or limb‐threatening situations, call 911 or transport directly to the ER immediately. Call Company Nurse with any information that you have once the situation has stabilized.

What if we don’t think this injury needs to be treated? Should we call anyway?

Yes. It is always best to follow the RN’s advice at Company Nurse and get treatment sooner rather than later. Minor injuries are often referred to seek treatment within 48–72 hours. If the employee refuses to seek treatment, that will be documented in the incident report.

If the employee does not want to call Company Nurse, should we call in anyway?

Yes. Call with the information that you have; try to include where the employee was treated if that is the case. The reports will be forwarded to your Risk Management or Human Resources department and the claims adjuster for appropriate action.

The employee has already been treated by their physician prior to reporting the injury. Should we call it in?

Yes. It is best to have the employee with you and get as much information as possible about where the treatment took place so the nurse can include that information in the report.

If we think this is a fraudulent claim, should we tell the nurse?

Yes, tell the nurse that you think this claim should be questioned, along with any information you have that may support your opinion.

Claims and Injured Worker Videos
After the initial shock of a workplace injury, many people ask, “what next?!” The simple answer: an incident review. Learn about our incident review form.
Do you know when to report a claim to IMWCA? Find out when you should report a workplace injury to Company Nurse, IMWCA’s claims reporting partner.
Do you and your employees have the new Globally Harmonized System pictograms memorized? After all, the new system’s consistent and easily understandable information about the chemical products isn’t useful if you can’t identify the hazards.