Criteria for Volunteer Fire Departments
Volunteer fire departments must agree to comply with the following criteria to become members of IMWCA.
Must be implemented immediately:
1. Volunteers for prospective members must take a physical examination prior to appointment to the department.
Must be implemented within the first year of membership:
2. A written blood-borne pathogen exposure control plan.
3. Hazardous Materials (HazMat) Operations level training for a representative number of volunteers.
4. Confined space rescue training and written procedures in the event that the department performs a confined space rescue.
5. Written on-site rehabilitation procedures to monitor firefighters for heat exhaustion, frostbite, or other conditions incurred during firefighting or rescue operations.
6. A written respiratory protection plan requiring firefighters who wear respirators to meet OSHA-required standards, including a satisfactory spirometry test, if required by the reviewing physician.
Must be implemented within the first three years of membership:
7. All existing members must take a periodic physical examination to remain in the department.